Nominations for the 2002 Teacher/Scholar of the Year
Sheila K. Dickison, Associate Provost
Colleges are invited to submit nominations for the Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award for 2002. Current faculty members of the University are eligible for consideration for this significant award. A list of previous recipients of the award is included below.
In selecting the awardee, the Committee will be designating a faculty member who demonstrates excellence in both teaching and scholarly activity (manifested by scholarly research, creative writing, original works of art, etc.) and visibility within and beyond the university. The awardee will serve as a very distinguished example of the teacher/scholar as represented at the University of Florida.
Each college is invited to nominate ONE faculty member who best exemplifies the criteria for this award.
Nominations should include the following documents:
1. A letter of nomination from the college dean.
2. A letter of support from the nominee’s department chair.
3. A one-page statement of teaching philosophy including evidence of mentoring graduate or professional students, participation in undergraduate research and outreach within and beyond the university.
4. A one-page summary of courses taught in the past five years, including typical enrollments and a summary table of student course evaluations.
5. A one-page summary of the nominee’s scholarly work, including the nature of the research or creative work, importance of the work to the scholar’s field, funding sources, awards received, graduate students/fellows trained.
6. A curriculum vitae.
7. Additional supporting material not to exceed five pages (optional).
Nominations that do not follow the guidelines above will be disqualified.
The nomination dossiers will be reviewed by a sub-committee of the Faculty Academic Advisory Committee and past winners of this award. The Committee may request additional documentation, as it deems necessary to evaluate more fully the nominations.
Nomination dossiers (an original plus 7 copies) should be delivered to Dr. Sheila Dickison, 140 Tigert Hall, no later than December 6, 2002. The awardee will be notified by mid December.
We encourage you to confer with colleagues and to identify and nominate deserving faculty members. This is the University of Florida’s most prestigious faculty award, offering an honorarium of $5,000 in addition to other appropriate recognition. If you have questions, please call me at 392-1519.
Previous recipients of the Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award can be found at:
Comments are currently closed.