Year-End Closing for University Disbursement and Property Services, Including Certified Forwards for Fiscal Year 2002-2003

Published: May 5th, 2003

Category: Memos

John P. Kruczek, University Controller

It is time to begin planning for June 30, 2003, year-end closing. Departments are encouraged to submit invoices for payment as early as possible to ensure payment from current year funds. Outstanding encumbrances should be reviewed and closed if no longer needed. A useful tool for reviewing encumbrances is the Outstanding Encumbrance Report attached to your monthly Departmental Ledgers. We will begin sending out special Outstanding Encumbrance Reports in June. These reports should alert you to problems that need to be resolved before year-end and help you manage your funds through the certification forward process.

On July 2, 2003 Finance and Accounting will distribute encumbrance reports to each department, listing all open encumbrances at June 30, 2003, for each organization code in funds that require certification forward. The only encumbrances remaining open at this date should be those that are to be certified forward. Please verify those encumbrances to be certified forward and provide information regarding any goods or services that have not been received and not paid for as of June 30. The completed reports must be returned to University Disbursement Services, 114 Elmore Hall, Post Office Box 115350, no later than July 7, 2003 in order to have these encumbrances certified forward. A preliminary run of this encumbrance report will be distributed to each department by June 13. This will allow you to review all encumbrances and begin to prepare your information to be entered on the final version.

The Encumbrance Report for Certified Forward will include a receipt date of 6/30/03 for all goods or services that has not been paid by June 30, 2003. Please identify any good or service not received by June 30, 2003, as the receipt date is essential to determine the University’s accounts payable at year-end.

Please note that University Disbursements will continue to accept invoices after the scheduled deadlines, but cannot guarantee that they will be processed before June 30.

The Fiscal Year-End schedule and information for Disbursements can be found at the following website: If you have any questions concerning these procedures and cutoff dates, please call Dorothy Dykes at 2-1241, ext. 307 for ID’s; Brett Wallen at 2-1245, for Travel; Debbie Anderson at 2/1241, ext. 309 for Outside Vendors; Linda Shreve at 2-0185 for Cash Expense Refunds; Diane Hurtak at 2-0181 for Revenue Refunds. Health Center units should call Shirley Hatch at 265-8095.

Comments are currently closed.