UF Bridges Highlights Future Browser Requirements
Fred H. Cantrell, Project Director
UF Bridges is a multi-year project to improve university business processes. As a result, most of the campus computer systems will be replaced with new integrated Web-based PeopleSoft systems. On July 1, 2004 all financial and personnel systems will be replaced, with student systems to follow in 2006. These new on-line systems will be accessible only through the myUFL portal (http://my.ufl.edu).
Using a GatorLink signon, portal users have direct access to many UF systems from any computer (e.g., work, home, laptop). With this ease of access, however, come two important considerations.
First, PeopleSoft systems have browser requirements that must be followed to ensure access and an optimal experience. Current browser requirements are as follows:
- Internet Explorer 6 on Win98, NT 4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
- Internet Explorer 5 and 5.5 on NT 4, Windows 9x, and Windows 2000
- Internet Explorer 5 on Mac OS 7.6.1 and above
- Netscape Navigator 6.2 on Win 9x, NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Mac OS 9/X (Deprecated – will not be supported in future versions.)
- Netscape Communicator 4.7x on NT 4, Windows 9x, Windows 2000, Linux, UNIX and Mac OS 7.6.1 and above
- Netscape Communicator 7x on NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux, and Mac OS 9/X
PeopleSoft recommends Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 for the best overall user experience.
Requirements will change with future versions of the systems. A full description of current browser requirements is always available on the myUFL sign on page. Click on the “myUFL Browser Requirements” link at the bottom of the sign on box.
Second, it is very important that the entire campus—faculty, staff and students—understand the importance of protecting their GatorLink username and password. Do not share your GatorLink password. Sharing allows others to assume your identity and use all the systems and files to which you have authorized access. All system activity is logged under the GatorLink identity and you will be responsible for activity associated with your GatorLink.
To stay informed about the UF Bridges project, including training opportunities and the latest upgrades, we encourage you to subscribe to the UF Bridges pagelet on myUFL. Once you log on to myUFL, click on the “Personalize Content” link just above the myUFL menu. Check the box next to UF Bridges and click on the “Save” button at the bottom of the page.