Nomination for the 2004-2005 Teacher/Scholar of the Year
Debra Walker King, Associate Provost
Colleges are invited to submit nominations for the Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award for 2004-2005. Current faculty members of the University are eligible for consideration for this significant award.
In selecting the awardee, the Committee will be designating a faculty member who demonstrates distinguished achievement in both teaching and scholarly activity (manifested by scholarly research, creative writing, original works of art, etc.) and visibility within and beyond the university. The awardee will serve as a model of excellence and an example of the teacher/scholar as represented at the University of Florida. Each college is invited to nominate ONE faculty member who best exemplifies the criteria for this award.
Nominations should include the following documents:
1. A letter of nomination from the college dean.
2. A letter of support from the nominee’s department chair.
3. A one-page statement of teaching philosophy including evidence of mentoring graduate or professional students, participation in undergraduate research and outreach within and beyond the university.
4. A one-page summary of courses taught in the past five years, including typical enrollments and a summary table of student course evaluations.
5. A one-page summary of the nominee’s scholarly work, including the nature of the research or creative work, importance of the work to the scholar’s field, funding sources, awards received, graduate students/fellows trained.
6. A curriculum vitae.
7. Additional supporting material not to exceed five pages (optional).
Nominations that do not follow the guidelines above will be disqualified.
The nomination dossiers will be reviewed by a sub-committee of the Faculty Academic Advisory Committee and select past winners of this award. The Committee may request additional documentation, as it deems necessary to evaluate more fully the nominations.
Nomination dossiers (an original plus 7 copies) should be delivered to Dr. Debra Walker King, 145 Tigert Hall, no later than March 19, 2005. The awardee will be notified by mid-April.
We encourage you to confer with colleagues and to identify and nominate deserving faculty members. This is the University of Florida’s most prestigious and oldest (since 1960) faculty award, offering an honorarium of $5,000 in addition to other appropriate recognition.
If you have questions, please call me at 392-6004.
Previous recipients of the Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award can be found at: http://www.senate.ufl.edu/teacherYear.pdf .