Nominations for the 2010-2011 Teacher/Scholar of the Year
Joseph Glover, Provost and Senior Vice President
Colleges are invited to submit nominations for the Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award for 2010-2011. Originating in 1960, this is the University of Florida’s most prestigious and oldest faculty award. It offers an honorarium of $5,000 in addition to other appropriate recognition. Current faculty members of the University are eligible for consideration for this significant award.
Each year this award is given to a faculty member who demonstrates distinguished achievement in both teaching and scholarly activity (manifested by scholarly research, creative writing, original works of art, etc.) and visibility within and beyond the university. The awardee serves as a model of excellence and an example of the teacher/scholar as represented at the University of Florida.
I invite each college to nominate ONE faculty member who best exemplifies the criteria for this award.
Nominations should include the following documents:
- A letter of nomination from the college dean.
- A letter of support from the nominee’s department chair.
- A one-page statement of teaching philosophy including evidence of mentoring graduate or professional students, participation in undergraduate research and outreach within and beyond the university.
- A one-page summary of courses taught in the past five years, including typical enrollments and a summary table of student course evaluations.
- A one-page summary of the nominee’s scholarly work, including the nature of the research or creative work, importance of the work to the scholar’s field, funding sources, awards received, graduate students/fellows trained.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Additional supporting material not to exceed five pages (optional).
Please submit the materials per the instructions found at: http://www.aa.ufl.edu/aa/facdev/career/documents/TeacherScholarApplicationForm.pdf
Nominations that do not follow the guidelines above will be disqualified.
The nomination dossiers will be reviewed by a subcommittee of the Academy of Distinguished Teaching Scholars.
Nomination dossiers should be submitted electronically to the Office of Faculty Development, c/o Ellen Sattler at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than February 14, 2011. The awardee will be notified by mid-March.
I encourage you to confer with colleagues and to identify and nominate deserving faculty members. If you have questions, please call Ellen Sattler, Senior Administrative Assistant to Associate Provost Kathleen Long at 392-6004.
A list of the Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award recipients since 1960 can be found at http://www.aa.ufl.edu/aa/facdev/career/teacher-scholar/priorwinners.shtml.
Comments are currently closed.