Nominations for the 1998 Teacher/Scholar of the Year
Jack Battenfield, Associate Vice President, University Relations
The Faculty Academic Advisory Group to the President and to the Provost invites you and your colleagues to submit nominations for the Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award for 1998. All current faculty members of the University are eligible for consideration for this significant award. A list of previous recipients of the award is provided with this memorandum for reference purposes.
In selecting the awardee, the Committee will be designating a faculty member who demonstrates excellence in both teaching and scholarly activity (manifested by scholarly research, creative writing, original works of art, etc.). The concept of excellence in both of these areas should be evident in the awardee’s career accomplishments.
Nominations may be submitted by colleagues who can attest to the nominee’s qualifications. Nomination dossiers should include a nomination letter and a Curriculum Vitae. As part of the C.V., one page summaries of both the teaching and scholarly activities of the nominee are requested, as described below.
For the teaching area, include an overview of the nominee’s courses taught for the past five years (indicate undergraduate or graduate, typical enrollments and offering frequency), innovative techniques used, and a summary of student course evaluations (one page). The summary of the nominee’s scholarly work should include the nature of the research or creative work, importance of the work to the scholar’s field, funding sources, awards received, graduate students/fellows trained, etc. (one page). The nomination dossiers will be reviewed by a sub-committee of the Faculty Academic Advisory Group and an awardee will be selected. The Group may request additional documentation as it deems necessary to evaluate more fully the nominations.
Nomination dossiers should be delivered to the Group in care of Ms. Ann Sumler, Senior Secretary to the Provost, Room 235 Tigert Hall, no later than March 24, 1998. The awardee will be notified at the end of the Spring Semester.
We encourage you to confer with colleagues and to identify and nominate deserving faculty members. This is one of the University of Florida’s most prestigious faculty awards, offering an honorarium of $2,000 in addition to other appropriate recognition.
RECIPIENTS — TEACHER/SCHOLAR OF THE YEAR AWARD
- 1959-60 G.K. Davis — Agriculture
- 1960-61 R.L. Johns — Education
- 1961-62 Harold Bachman — Music
- 1962-64 (not awarded)
- 1964-65 M.J. Dauer — Political Science
- 1965-66 A.P. Black — Engineering
- 1966-67 T.W. Herbert — English
- 1967-68 Raymond Crist — Geography
- 1968-69 Archie Carr — Botany
- 1969-70 Arthur Combs — Education
- 1970-71 Wayne H. Chen — Engineering
- 1971-72 Irving Goffman — Business Administration
- 1972-73 Frederick Rhines — Engineering
- 1973-74 David Chalmers — History
- 1974-75 Jerry N. Uelsmann — Fine Arts
- 1975-76 G. Paul Moore — Speech
- 1976-77 William Woodruff — History
- 1977-78 Howard T. Odum — Engineering
- 1978-79 Ellis D. Verink — Engineering
- 1979-80 Solon T. Kimball — Anthropology
- 1980-81 M.B. Rowe — Education
- 1981-82 Larry Hench — Engineering
- 1982-83 Charles Wagley — Anthropology
- 1983-84 James Winefordner — Chemistry
- 1984-85 Dinesh O. Shah — Chemical Engineering
- 1985-86 Roy C. Craven — Fine Arts
- 1986-87 Parker A. Small, Jr. — Medicine
- 1987-88 Fred A. Lindholm — Engineering
- 1988-89 Martin A. Uman — Engineering
- 1989-90 William M. Jones — Chemistry
- 1990-91 J.J. Ewel — Botany
- 1991-92 Thomas L. Crisman — Environmental Eng. Sciences
- 1992-93 David H. Evans — Zoology
- 1993-94 (not awarded)
- 1994-95 Patrick Duff — Obstetrics and Gynecology
- 1995-96 Pierre Ramond – Physics
- 1996-97 Colin Sumners — Medicine