2001-2002 College/Department Awards to Students

Published: March 23rd, 2001

Category: Memos

Karen Fooks, Director

Student Financial Affairs would like to remind colleges and departments of the need to notify our office, as soon as possible, of students receiving college-awarded scholarships, grants, fellowships, stipends, waivers, loans or funds of any type for the upcoming academic year. Federal and state regulations governing financial aid require the university to factor in all sources of assistance when awarding financial aid. In the event that aid has already been awarded or disbursed, regulations require an analysis of the student’s aid package to determine if the recipient of an additional award places the student in an over-award situation (i.e., total awards are greater than cost-of-attendance minus effective family contribution). If the student has been over-awarded, a reduction in federal and state aid may be necessary, and could lead to a student’s repayment of financial aid funds.

Each college scholarship administrator should send a Scholarship Notification Document (SND) to Student Financial Affairs indicating student’s name, social security number, award name, SAMAS number and amount per term. Student Financial Affairs will then include these awards in the student’s award package, adjusting if necessary, and arrange for the student to be paid immediately after the drop/add period each term.

Our greatest need is for all colleges and departments to give us complete academic year information as early as possible, before the academic year begins. The later the notification is received in our office, the greater the likelihood that a problem will be created for the student. This policy is not designed to detract from academic awards given to or earned by individual students in recognition of their academic accomplishments. It is our effort to comply with federal and state regulations, and to assist all needy students in the most equitable manner.

Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated. We look forward to working with you for the benefit of all students. We urge you to circulate this information to your staff who normally completes such paper work. Please contact our Scholarship Section if there are special circumstances surrounding your award, which you feel have not been adequately addressed by our office. In addition, if you need a supply of our Scholarship Notification Documents, please request them by phone from our Scholarship Section at 352-392-1275 ext. 3369. Or, you can go to http://www.ufsa.ufl.edu/sfa/publications/pdf_forms/2000-2001/, the Student Financial Affairs website, to complete and/or download this form.

Comments are currently closed.