Summer 2002 Student Employment

Published: March 29th, 2002

Category: Memos

Karen Fooks, Director of Student Financial Affairs

The Student Employment Section will begin issuing summer work permits to students employed through the Other Personnel Services (OPS) and Federal Work-Study (FWS) programs on April 15, 2002. If you will be employing OPS and FWS students for the summer term, please have them come to the student employment counter in S-107 Criser Hall to pick up their work permits as soon as possible, beginning also on or after April 15, 2002. The payroll clerk or student may also use the Phone- in-Work Permit Service (392-0296). All phone-in-service must provide the employing department’s campus mailing address in order for the work permit to be mailed. No work permits will be faxed. Please do not allow a student to work without a work permit.

The guidelines for working as a student employee for the summer are as follows:

1. Register at least half-time;

a. Undergraduates, 6 credits (for example)
Summer A = 3 credits    Summer A only = 6 credits
Summer B = 3 credits    Summer B only = 6 credits
Summer C = 6 credits

b. Graduate, 4 credits (for example)
Summer A = 2 credits    Summer A only = 4 credits
Summer B = 2 credits    Summer B only = 4 credits
Summer C = 4 credits

If the student is registered for less than half-time, the employing department must appoint the student on temporary OPS through Division of Human Resources.

2. Students may not work during scheduled classes or exams without written approval using a class dismissal form.

3. A friendly reminder, to please verify that all nonresident aliens with a F-1 or J-1 visa status has not expired before sending them to renew their work permit.

4. Students must have pre-registered for summer classes before a work permit can be issued.

If you have any questions, please contact the Student Employment Section at 392-0296.

Comments are currently closed.