Summer 2004 Student Employment

Published: April 7th, 2004

Category: Memos

Karen Fooks, Director, Student Financial Affairs

The Student Employment Section will begin issuing summer work permits to students employed through the Other Personnel Services (OPS) and Federal Work-Study (FWS) programs on April 12, 2004. If you will be employing OPS and FWS students for the summer term, please have them come to the student employment counter in S-107 Criser Hall to pick up their work permits as soon as possible, beginning on or after April 12, 2004. The payroll clerk or student may also use the Phone-in Work Permit Service (392-0296). All phone-in service must provide the employing department’s campus mailing address in order for the work permit to be mailed. No work permits will be faxed. Please do not allow a student to work without a work permit.

The guidelines for working as a student employee for the summer are as follows:

1. Register at least half-time;

a. Undergraduates, 6 credits
Summer A = 3 credits
Summer B = 3 credits
Summer C = 6 credits

b. Graduate, 4 credits
Summer A = 2 credits
Summer B = 2 credits
Summer C = 4 credits

If the student is registered for less than half-time, the employing department must appoint the student on temporary OPS through Division of Human Resources.

2. Students must have pre-registered for summer classes before a work permit can be issued.

3. A friendly reminder, please verify that all nonresident aliens with a F-1 or J-1 visa status have not expired before sending them to renew their work permit.

4. Students may not work during scheduled classes or exams without written approval using a class dismissal form.

If you have any questions, please contact the Student Employment Section at 392-0296.

Comments are currently closed.