Cabinet Reorganization and New SVP and Chief Operating Officer
J. Bernard Machen, President
Today I am announcing a reorganization of my cabinet that I believe will improve overall leadership effectiveness by streamlining reporting relationships and enhancing efficiency.
As part of that restructuring, I have named Win Phillips, vice president for research, to the post of senior vice president and chief operating officer, effective Sept. 6.
Reporting to the senior vice president and chief operating officer will be the following positions:
- vice president for business affairs (Ed Poppell)
- vice president for human resources (Paula Fussell)
- vice president for research (to be determined)
- chief information officer (Elias Eldayrie)
- chief audit executive (Brian Mikell)
I am also restructuring the office of the provost and senior vice president for academic affairs, with the following vice presidents reporting to Joe Glover:
- chief financial officer (Matt Fajack)
- vice president for enrollment management (Zina Evans)
- vice president for student affairs (David Kratzer, interim)
The general counsel (Jamie Keith), the athletic director (Jeremy Foley) and the vice presidents for university relations (Jane Adams) and development (Tom Mitchell) will continue to report directly to the president.
A search for a new vice president for research will be announced soon.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Dr. Phillips for his dedicated and impressive service as the leader of our research enterprise. Since he took over that position in 1999, we have seen our sponsored research funding climb from $339 million to $678 million – a 100-percent increase and nothing short of phenomenal. I am confident that he will be equally effective in his new position.