Executive Order 98-245 for Faculty, USPS, and A&P employees
Bob Willits, Interim Director
A recent Executive Order may provide leave benefits to employees in your unit impacted by Hurricane Georges. Administrative leave (or paid leave for faculty) may be granted on a case-by-case review, up to a maximum of 40 hours, based on the following criteria:
- An employee was unable to attend scheduled work as a direct result of damage or destruction to their own home or place of residence
- An employee was unable to attend scheduled work as a direct result of other hazards directly connected with the weather conditions of Georges and accompanying remnants inundating the roads the employee must travel to get to work
- Such absences occurred on or between September 22, 1998, and October 22, 1998.
If there are impacted employees in your unit, the following steps should be pursued:
- Faculty, USPS, and A&P employees in your department who were affected as described above should submit to you written requests for administrative leave (USPS and A&P) or paid leave (faculty) explaining their particular situations
- After you have verified that an employee’s request meets the criteria described, a memorandum from the Dean, Director, or Chairperson supporting approval of leave should be sent to the appropriate personnel office. Include the following information:
- Employee’s name
- Employee’s social security number
- The employee’s college code and leavekeeping location (LKL)
- Dates and the total number of hours the employee was absent from work
- Attach the employee’s request that explains his or her situation in detail
- For USPS and A&P employees, mail the completed memorandum and attachment to Sandra Lovegrove, Central Leave Administration, P.O. Box 115001. Faculty approvals should be sent to Janet Malphurs, Academic Personnel, P.O. Box 113005.
Once the documentation is received by the appropriate personnel office for processing, the Dean, Director, or Department Chairperson and the department leavekeeper will be notified of any administrative or paid leave approved as a result of this Executive Order. It may be necessary for leavekeepers to back out earlier leave entries and re-enter leave as administrative leave. Since faculty are not eligible for administrative leave, the department should keep a record of the approvals with the faculty member’s leave record.
No additional approvals are required for administrative or paid leave granted to employees who work in offices that were closed due to the effects of Hurricane Georges. Simply forward a list to the appropriate personnel office (Sandra Lovegrove for USPS and A&P and Janet Malphurs for faculty) of any employees in your unit who were granted administrative or paid leave due to their office being closed. Please include employee name, number of hours of leave granted, the dates involved, and the office location.
Please direct questions about this process to Sandra Lovegrove at 392-5732, 622-5732 (SC) for USPS and A&P employees, or Janet Malphurs at 392-1251, 622-1251 (SC) for faculty.