Year-End Closing for University Disbursement and Property Services, including Certified Forwards, Fiscal Year 1998-1999
John P. Kruczek, University Controller
It is time to begin planning for June 30, 1999, year-end closing. Departments are encouraged to submit invoices for payment as early as possible to ensure payment from current year funds. Outstanding encumbrances should be reviewed and any which are not needed should be closed. A useful tool for reviewing encumbrances is the Outstanding Encumbrance Report that is attached to your monthly Departmental Ledgers. We will begin sending out special Outstanding Encumbrance Reports in June. These reports should alert you to problems that need to be resolved before year-end. I would like to emphasize that it is your department’s responsibility to manage funds through the certification process.
On July 1, 1999, we will distribute Encumbrance reports to each department. The report will list all open Encumbrances at June 30, 1999, for each organization code in funds that require certification forward. You will need to verify that these encumbrances should be certified forward and provide information regarding any goods or services that have NOT been received and not paid for as of June 30. The completed reports must be returned to University Disbursement Services, 114 Elmore Hall, Post Office Box 115350, no later than July 6, 1999 in order to have these encumbrances certified forward. A preliminary run of this Encumbrance report will be distributed to each department by June 4. This will allow you to review all encumbrances and begin to prepare your information to be entered on the final version.
Please note that the Encumbrance Report for Certified Forward includes a receipt date of 6/30/99 for all goods or services that have not been paid for by June 30, 1999. You should identify any good or service NOT received by June 30, 1999, as the receipt date is essential to determine the University’s Accounts Payable at year end.
* * * YEAR END CHANGE * * *
Purchasing Card – Purchases made on University Purchasing Cards against general funds and not paid before 6/30/99 may be certified forward, if funds are available. Please call Tammy Arant at 392-1241 to encumber these charges. An encumbrance number beginning with PCXXX will be assigned. Unencumbered Purchasing Card charges will be paid out of FY 1999/2000 money.
As in previous years, blanket encumbrances (with the exception of maintenance contracts, encumbrances on sponsored contracts and grants, and recurring charges) will be closed at the end of May. Please make arrangements for the timely establishment of any special encumbrances needed for goods or services purchased during the month of June. In addition, be sure to encumber sufficient current year funds to certify all charges through June 30 for such items as NERDC, Working Capital, maintenance and repair jobs, utilities, SunCom, toll calls, Bookstore, Printing, Motor Pool, copying charges, postage, etc. If estimates are required for unbilled services received prior to June 30, please use the best historical information you have from prior months’ activity. Postage, Bookstore, and Printing will be processing invoices for the first two weeks in June; thus you will only need to certify forward the last half of June’s charges to these auxiliaries. Charges for basic telephone services and telephone maintenance for June will be paid early in June; please do not certify these. However, SunCom charges for May and June should be certified forward. Toll calls should be certified for June.
Travel advances cannot be granted during the month of June, as travel advances must be settled prior to June 30.
The following deadlines have been established to assist you in the year-end process. Please note that these deadlines are tentative since we have not received the official dates from Tallahassee.
Monday, May 3, 4:30 p.m.
- As of this date, in order to receive an Avis Rent-A-Car ACTO on a State account, special travel encumbrances are required.
Monday, May 24, 4:30 p.m.
- Last day to process Disbursements from Revolving Fund.
Friday, May 28, 4:30 p.m.
- Last day to submit Non-Resident Alien payments to be paid from FY 98/99 funds.
- The following blanket encumbrances on all State, AEF, Auxiliary, Agency, Student Government, and MG&G funds will be closed:
- Outside vendor blankets. Except maintenance agreements and standard monthly operating charges.
- Travel blankets. Travel Reimbursement Vouchers submitted after this date on closed travel blankets, for travel occurring in May, will be processed for payment. However, please make arrangements for the establishment of any special encumbrances for travel, including ACTO’s (see May 3 above) and TR’s you might need during the month of June.
- I. D. Blankets. Except for PPD (working capital, telecommunications, utilities, etc.), OIR, campus postal, Health Center postal and NERDC. Please set-up special encumbrances for purchases from auxiliaries in June.
Thursday, June 3, 4:30 p.m.
- Submit the following to University Disbursement Services to ensure payment from 1998-99 funds:
- Non-automated Inter-departmental (“I.D.”) invoices
- I. D. expense refunds.
- Invoices from other State agencies.
- Last day to submit Cash Expense Refunds to Disbursements to meet University Financial Services deadline.
Friday, June 4, 12:00 NOON
- Cash Expense Refunds should be remitted to the Cashier, S-113 Criser Hall, as early as possible. All refunds should be deposited timely.
- Special auxiliary I. D. encumbrances should be submitted to University Disbursement Services, P. O. Box 115350, 114 Elmore Hall, for certification purposes. This does not apply to Sponsored Research Contracts and Grants.
Friday, June 4, 4:30 p.m.
- Deadline for submitting invoices for all purchases from State Surplus Property Division to University Property Services, P. O. Box 115300, 116 Elmore Hall, to ensure payment before the State Comptroller’s deadlines. Questions should be addressed to Randy Staples at 2-2556.
Thursday, June 10, 12:00 NOON
- Revenue Refund requests should be submitted to the Bank Area, S-113 Criser Hall.
Friday, June 11, 4:30 p.m.
- Deadline for submitting to University Disbursement Services, P. O. Box 115350, 114 Elmore Hall, to ensure payment during the month of June for the following:
- Limited Purchase Orders (LPOs).
- Payment Authorizations (PAs) (includes CIC payments).
- Approved outside vendor invoices and freight invoices for all funds including Agency funds.
- Travel reimbursement vouchers.
- Concession fund requisitions for payment.
- Deadline for submitting grant invoices to University Disbursement Services, P. O. Box 115350, 114 Elmore Hall, to ensure processing during the month of June.
- Deadline for submitting Change Orders to outstanding encumbrances to be certified forward.
Note:- Unencumbered LPOs, PAs, etc. cannot be certified forward.
Tuesday, July 6, 4:30 p.m.
- Deadline for returning Encumbrance Reports for Certified Forward to University Disbursement Services.
Thank you for your assistance during year-end closing. If any changes occur concerning year-end closing deadlines or the procedures for Certified Forward, we will promptly convey them to you. Please note that we will continue to accept invoices after the “ensure” dates, but cannot guarantee that they will be processed before June 30.
If you have any questions concerning these procedures and cutoff dates, please call Dorothy Dykes at 2-1241, ext. 307 on ID’s; Monica Thames-Lamar at 2-1245, on Travel; Debbie Anderson at 2-1241, ext. 309, on outside vendors; Linda Shreve at 2-0185 on cash expense refunds; Patti Perkins at 2-0181 on revenue refunds. IFAS units should call Anne Steele at 392-1741; Health Center units should call Kathy Thrasher at 395-8095 or Terry Sprague at 392-2772; Engineering units should call Susan Luther at 392-5891.