Nominations for the 2007- 2008 Teacher/Scholar of the Year
Janie Fouke, Provost & Senior Vice President
Colleges are invited to submit nominations for the Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award for 2007-2008. Originating in 1960, this is the University of Florida’s oldest and most prestigious faculty award. It offers an honorarium of $5,000 in addition to other appropriate recognition. Current faculty members of the university are eligible for consideration for this significant award.
Each year this award is given to a faculty member who demonstrates distinguished achievement in both teaching and scholarly activity (manifested by scholarly research, creative writing, original works of art, etc.) and visibility within and beyond the university. The awardee serves as a model of excellence and an example of the teacher/scholar as represented at the University of Florida.
I invite each college to nominate ONE faculty member who best exemplifies the criteria for this award.
Nomination dossiers should include the following documents:
1. A letter of nomination from the college dean.
2. A letter of support from the nominee’s department chair.
3. A one-page statement of teaching philosophy including evidence of mentoring graduate or professional students, participation in undergraduate research, and outreach within and beyond the university.
4. A one-page summary of courses taught in the past five years, including typical enrollments and a summary table of student course evaluations.
5. A one-page summary of the nominee’s scholarly work, including the nature of the research or creative work, importance of the work to the scholar’s field, funding sources, awards received, and graduate students/fellows trained.
6. Nominee’s curriculum vitae.
7. Additional supporting material (optional) should not exceed five pages.
Nominations that do not follow the above guidelines will be disqualified.
The nomination dossiers will be reviewed by a subcommittee of the Faculty Academic Advisory Committee and past winners of this award. The committee may request additional documentation it deems necessary to evaluate more fully the nominations.
Nomination dossiers (original plus 7 copies) should be delivered to Dr. Debra Walker King, Faculty Development, 235 Tigert Hall, PO Box 113050, no later than February 1, 2008. The awardee will be notified by mid-April.
I encourage you to confer with colleagues and to identify and nominate deserving faculty members. If you have questions, please call Dr. King at 392-6004.
A printable copy of the Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award recipients since 1960 can be found at: http://www.aa.ufl.edu/aa/facdev/career/documents/TSList.pdf