Nominations for the 2011-2012 Teacher/Scholar of the Year and information about the NEW SEC Faculty Achievement Awards
Joe Glover, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Please forward this to the appropriate person in your college. Due date is January 27, 2012 for nominations for the UF Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award.
Colleges are invited to submit nominations for the UF Teacher/Scholar of the Year Award for 2011-2012. Originating in 1960, this is the University of Florida’s most prestigious and oldest faculty award. It offers an honorarium of $5,000 in addition to other appropriate recognition. Current faculty members of the University are eligible for consideration for this significant award.
Each year this award is given to a faculty member who demonstrates distinguished achievement in both teaching and scholarly activity (manifested by scholarly research, creative writing, original works of art, etc.) and visibility within and beyond the university. The awardee serves as a model of excellence and an example of the teacher/scholar as represented at the University of Florida.
I invite each college to nominate ONE faculty member at the rank of FULL professor who best exemplifies the criteria for this award.
Nominations should include the following documents:
- A letter of nomination from the college dean.
- A letter of support from the nominee’s department chair.
- A one-page statement of teaching philosophy, including discussion of mentoring activities for undergraduate, graduate and/or professional students; and discussion of activities to advance knowledge and scholarship within and beyond the university.
- A one-page summary of courses taught in the past five years, including typical enrollments and a summary table of student course evaluations.
- A one-page summary of the nominee’s scholarly work, including the nature of the research or creative work, importance of the work to the scholar’s field, funding sources, awards received, graduate students/fellows trained.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Additional supporting material not to exceed five pages (optional).
Please submit the materials per the instructions found at: http://www.aa.ufl.edu/teacher-scholar Nominations that do not follow the guidelines above will be disqualified.
The nomination dossiers will be reviewed by a subcommittee with members recommended by the Academy of Distinguished Teaching Scholars and the Provost.
Nomination dossiers should be submitted electronically to the Office of Faculty Development, c/o Ellen Sattler at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than Friday, January 27, 2012. The awardee will be notified by