Executive Orders 98-217 and 98-218 for Faculty, USPS, and A&P Employees
Robert Willits, Interim Director
Two recent Executive Orders may provide leave benefits to employees in your unit impacted by Hurricane Earl. Administrative leave (paid leave Faculty) may be granted based on a case-by-case review, up to a maximum of eight hours, in the following circumstances:
* employees who have children in schools or child care facilities that were closed due to the effects of Hurricane Earl.
* employees who returned to their home to take protective measures because they live in an area where an evacuation was ordered by local county emergency management officials.
If there are impacted employees in your unit, the following steps should be pursued:
- Faculty, USPS and A&P employees in your department who were affected as described above should submit to you written requests for administrative leave (USPS and A&P) or paid leave (Faculty) explaining their particular situations.
- After you have verified that an employee’s request meets the criteria outlined above, a memorandum from the Dean, Director, or Chairperson supporting approval of leave should be sent to the appropriate personnel office. Include the following information:
* Employee’s name
* Employee’s Social Security number
* The employee’s college code and LKL
* Dates and the number of hours the employee was absent from work
* Attach the employee’s request explaining his or her situation in detail.
- Mail the completed memorandum and attachment to Sandra Lovegrove at P.O. Box 115001 for USPS and A&P employees. Faculty approvals should be sent to Rita Cowan at P.O. Box 113005.
Once the documentation is received by the personnel office(s) for processing, the Dean, Director, or Department Chairperson and the department leavekeeper will be notified of any administrative or paid leave approved as a result of this Executive Order. It may be necessary for leavekeepers to back out earlier leave entries and re-enter leave as administrative leave. Since Faculty are not eligible for administrative leave, the department should keep a record of the approvals with the Faculty member’s leave record.
No additional approvals are required for administrative or paid leave granted to employees who work in offices closed due to the effects of Hurricane Earl. Please forward a list to the appropriate personnel office (Sandra Lovegrove for USPS and A&P and Rita Cowan for Faculty) of any employees in your unit who were granted administrative or paid leave due to their office being closed. Please include employee name, number of hours of leave granted, the dates involved and the office location.
Please direct questions about this process to Sandra Lovegrove (392-5732) for USPS and A&P employees, or Rita Cowan (392-1251) for Faculty.